More incredible laziness today… I wrote the post below 5 years ago after about 2 months in Internet Marketing. The weird thing is it hasn’t changed very much. when I wrote it $497 was the big price point now it’s $1997 but apart from that not much else. You’ll hopefully be able to recognize some of the people who I am referring to.
I am sure you can think of many more so please feel free to comment and leave me some of the ways you can spot a Guru!
Over the last few years there has been an incredible number of new “guru’s” appear in the world of internet marketing. Amazingly this has coincided with a whole host of very poorly though out products that offer very little or no value to purchaser. Coincidence? I’ll let you decide.
It could be that you are already an internet marketing Guru and you don’t even know it yet. Just to help you out here is a list of 10 (ok It’s more than 10 now!) things that will help you work out if you are in fact an Internet Marketing “Guru”
12. You refer to everyone as “My Good friend” despite the fact that you’ve never met them.
11. You start brand new emails with…. Re:-
10. Every family event, Birth, Wedding, Christening or Funeral is seen as a potential source of sales and the ideal opportunity for a webinar …hurry seats are going fast!.
9. You approach the local paperboy and offer him 50% of your sales to your new product in return for use of his “list”
8. You start to use words and expressions like “Skyrocket” and “Explode your Income” in day to day conversations
7. You write your wife a note to tell her you’ve taken the dog for a walk and it stretches to 8 pages
7b. Alternatively you leave her a 60 minute video and a note saying watch my 17 minute video (especially if your first name is Ryan)
6. You phone your local Wal-Mart and ask If you can get your shopping “even if it’s 3am”
5. You and your friends’ idea of fun is seeing who can sell the most number of $1997 products BEFORE you even write the product.
4. You get embarrassed in the showers when you find your friend has a bigger list than you.
3. You decide to sell your car but won’t tell anyone the price until they are in the bank and ready to pay
2. You take your middle kid to a new school and then try to up sell to your oldest kid and tell the headmaster that he will never see this offer again.
2a. If he says no you offer him your youngest kid as a bonus.
1. You can’t see the irony in the previous reasons
What do you do If any of the above apply to you? If you recognise that more than 1 of the 10 are applicable then I am afraid you are probably beyond saving.